Saturday, February 24, 2007


Best Band Names

A quick post before the electrifying conclusion to my last post...

I was just checking what CDs where posted on www.swapacd.com and it got me thinking about how some bands have the coolest names. Here are some of my favorites...

Dashboard Confessional - I just love the imagery of the lonely driver "emoting" to his dashboard as he drives down some lonely highway in the middle of the night...

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Jars of Clay - Probably the best scriptural-reference band name that I know of...

10,000 Maniacs

Stabbing Westward

They May Be Giants - If a name ever matched a band...

The Folk Implosion

The Innocence Mission

Counting Crows

Fine Young Cannibals - Where did these guys go?

Fountains of Wayne - Another fun band with a great name...

Mutual Admiration Society - two good bands (Nickel Creek and Glen Phillips) who like each other and working together

Panic! at the Disco - Can't forget the "!"

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Soul Asylum

Thievery Corporation

Was (Not Was) - Once again, the "( )" make the name for me...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

when is the electrifying conclusion coming

4:20 PM  
Blogger megs @ whadusay said...

I agree. Quit holding us in suspense! By the way, do Archie's count as comics - that is the only kind I have ever read!

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, on getting your stuff "out there."

I do have a few comments on your best band names post:
-First, it's just "Counting Crows" not "the Counting Crows." I think dropping the "the" makes the name even better, it's an activity, counting crows, not a type of crow that counts. Apparently it's derived from an ancient rhyme regarding counting the number of European Magpies (a crow of sorts) one sees and using the number to predict the future...sorry for the trivia.
-Second, I like to see Thievery Corporation made the list. I agree, it's a great name, especially when I burn thier music and the transaction actually becomes a stolen business.
-Finally, I have a few others that I would add: the Doors - after the "Doors of Perception" book by Aldous Huxley regarding his experience with mescaline (ie. peyote, Andy), quite appropriate for this counter-culture band. Caedmon's Call - I always appreciate band names which use ancient literature references. Butthole Surfers - I really don't think this needs further explanation.

joel

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home